Quick and Easy Vegan Banana Scones

Read...

Banana Scones- easy to make...used butter instead of coconut oil and added chocolate chips.

What could be better for a Sunday brunch than some rich, flaky and cakey Banana Scones?

Sundays are my shared weekend day off with Kam. While he has Saturday off to chillax, and I have Monday/Tuesday to study my brains out, we enjoy lazy lunches, puppy park playtime and home movie marathons on our Sundays together. It’s a 9.30am wakeup (instead of 6am) and all about easy brunches of pancakes, french toast, breakfast bakes or some lightly golden Banana Scones.
Two unloved and uneaten bananas left browning on my benchtop found their life purpose through this recipe. Now, I’m not a scone aficionado. While scones are most commonly cut into square portions from a shaped dough, I’ve gone with the classic damper shape of triangular portions cut from a flattened, round loaf.  I’ve made damper before (years ago – think Girl Guides and camping) and If I had a cast iron pot and a fireplace the recipe would probably have been called ‘Banana Damper’.
With coconut oil instead of butter, these still have a wonderful scone texture – crisp crust and a fluffy yet crumbly interior. There is the sweetness of banana with the slight hint of coconut and caramel from the coconut oil and sugar respectively. Being a warm day, my oil was liquid already so ‘cutting it in’ wasn’t an option, I mixed everything as I would a muffin batter. Everyone seems to have different definitions of what a scone’s texture should be, and I was pretty happy with my adaptation. For little effort, these golden scones make for a delicious breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea with your choice of cream, cashew or coconut cream, jam or delicious nut butters.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups self-raising flour (see notes)
  • ½ cup coconut oil (see notes)
  • ½ cup coconut sugar (see notes)
  • 2 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp linseed meal


Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 210C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
  2. Mix coconut oil, sugar, mashed bananas, vanilla and LSA in a large bowl. Sift 3 cups of flour into wet mix, stir well to combine. Use hands to incorporate all flour and form a ball of dough.
  3. Transfer dough onto baking sheet, flatten ball into a round disc and use sharp knife to cut into 6 or 8 portions. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until pieces pull away from each other and top is slightly browned.
Dairy-free & Vegan Banana Scones @OmNomAlly
pint it