Lemon Blackberry Coconut Scones

Read...

My PCOS Kitchen - Lemon Blackberry Coconut Scones - Paleo Gluten-free & Sugar-free scones perfect for a low carb/keto breakfast or snack!

Do you ever wake up one day and feel determined to do something or go somewhere that same day? That’s what happened to me last weekend.  I woke up and really wanted to try making some pcos-friendly scones that would be gluten-free, sugar-free and low carb.  I went to my fridge and pantry, looked at the ingredients I had on hand and decided to go for a lemon blackberry flavour since I had some blackberries in the freezer. If you’ve read some of my previous posts, I don’t usually use coconut anything in my recipes because I don’t like it when there’s a coconut flavour inside the recipe.  However, this time I wanted a strong coconut flavour, in fact, I wanted them to be coconut scones so you can definitely taste the coconut in this recipe!!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup coconut flour 118g
  • 1/2 cup blanched almond flour 60g
  • 1/4 cup coconut shreds 30g
  • 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
  • 1 tsp guar gum
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1.25 tsp stevia powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tbsp organic lemon juice
  • zest 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk 125ml
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 cup blackberries
  • Lemon Frosting
  • 1/4 cup coconut butter
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • zest 1/2 lemon
  • 1/8 tsp stevia powder

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
  3. In a different large bowl, mix in the apple cider vinegar and almond milk together and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the wet ingredients, except the blackberries, and whisk together. Pour in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a silicone spatula. This will form a pretty thick dough as the coconut will absorb a lot of the water. Mix in the blackberries.
  4. Line a 25cm springform pan with parchment paper and put the scone mixture in. Spoon it so that it is even everywhere.
  5. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes depending on how much you want it cooked.
  6. If you want to make individual portions, you can make 10-12 small triangles with your hands and place them on a baking mat. Bake for about 30 minutes.
  7. Take it out of the oven, lift the parchment paper out of the pan, and cut the scone cake into 10 pieces.
  8. Mix the lemon frosting ingredients together in a small bowl and spoon over the scones.

My PCOS Kitchen - Lemon Blackberry Coconut Scones - Paleo Gluten-free & Sugar-free scones perfect for a low carb/keto breakfast or snack! via @mypcoskitchen
pint it